Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Cost of Friendship

As I mentioned the other day, Randy and I have had visitors for the past week.  Jim and Marcia, friends of ours from way back moseyed their way to us and arrived last Sunday.

Jim and Marcia, while I don't want to say they are old friends, are old friends.  Randy, Jim and Marcia were all friends before I entered Randy's life.  BD - Before Dorothy - when Randy had another life, if you know what I mean.  The Callison's are friends, jeeping, camping and fishing buddies and we all were, with the exception of Marcia, co-workers at one time or another.  Marcia, while she never physically worked at NorWesCo, she spent thousands of hours living the place through Jim and quite possibly the rest of us.


Jim and Marcia were also our neighbors in Milton for a few years.  Randy and I had the honor of Jim and Marcia standing up for us when we were married in 1986.

Through the ebb and flow of time, circumstances and such, we drifted apart for many years.  That came to an end in the fall of last year.  

Aint Facebook wonderful, y'all?

Anyway ~


I am a liar.  That's the truth.  If I can spin a tale and get someone to believe it, I am in my element.  Add to that how funny I think I am, well, I can be quite a character, if I do say so myself.  Marcia can be a bit on the gullible side.  Unfortunate for her, a perfect target for me.

I can honestly say that we had some great laughs poking at each other.

One night, when we were getting the ice cream bowls out, Marcia accidentally knocked over one of my wine glasses and it broke.  And Marcia was upset.  So was I, but that was only because I didn't think it would be polite to lick the spilled wine off the floor with company in the house.

I tried to reassure her that my hand painted wine glasses were a dime a dozen and it was no big deal.  Actually, they are $39.96 a dozen plus labor and materials and baking time in the oven, but who is counting?

Seriously ~


If it were me, I would have felt badly too.  Honestly, it didn't bother me a bit.  I break wine glasses just by looking at them.  I can paint a wine glass, wash it up to put it in the cupboard and break it before it even saw a drop of boxed wine.  No big deal, there are more where those came from.

Sadly, Jim and Marcia had to leave on Friday morning.  We really didn't want them to go and I am sure that they would have liked to stay longer.  Randy and I understood, they had been away from home for a long time and had a long trip back.

Jack and Teri are still here and Randy and I want them to stay forever.  Yesterday, the four of us decided to take a stroll through the Remember When antique store in town.  Lots and lots of goodies to look at and reminisce over.


Marcia, my dear friend, I did this for you.  While reaching over to look at a glass item, I knocked over a dessert dish and broke it.  It was one piece from a four-piece set.  At least the antique store was kind enough to not make me buy the entire set.  This breakage episode cost me $7.99, which is has put a small dent in my Wii U savings.  Not to worry, I hear its not being released until 2012.


That would make Marcia and I even in the breakage count.  Being the good friend that I am, this morning I broke another of my wine glasses while washing it.  Marcia, please rest easy to know that in the scorekeeping process, I am now one broken glass ahead of you.

Nobody, nobody, nobody is getting near the beautiful Mickey Mouse wine glass that Teri painted for me.  I plan to build a clear, super strong carbon nanotube case to hold my new treasure in to keep it safe forever.


Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: