Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Gardening 101

Just off our back deck and up against the garage, we had an eyesore of a garden spot that I didn't know what to do with.  My first plan was to just take the planting area out all together, rake it smooth and fill in with rock.  

Somewhere along the line two thoughts made a connection in my brain:

1) I want a herb garden.


B) I want to do something with this eyesore of a garden spot.


I love lightbulb moments.  Maybe because they don't happen to me all that often.  This is actually a great spot to grow herbs, as it gets some really good afternoon sun.


Confident that this was a project we could handle in a day, Randy, Roxy and I headed to Home Depot to fetch all the ingredients to build a beautiful garden area.


Being the smartest dog in the universe, Roxy refused to get out of the truck when we arrived back home.  She knew that all that stuff in the bed of the truck meant work for someone.  It wasn't going to be her.


I dug up the daffodils, hoping to salvage them and replant them somewhere else this fall.  The next step was to gaze at the project area and think things over.


Roxy decided to help after all.  She is great with a level until ...


... She hears a noise in the woods, sees a bug, or thinks the neighbors are home.  She actually goes up the gravel road that leads to the back edge of the neighbor's place and spies on them.  Every.  Single.  Day.


I actually know my way around a level and a measuring tape.  I am not as good as Randy, but good enough to be dangerous.


Ah, pretty dirt.  Is that an oxymoron?  Like plastic glasses or Microsoft Works?


Ready to be planted.


Now I water and wait.


And keep Roxy out, as this was one of her favorite spots to lay in the sun.


I have had a sage sighting in the last couple of days.  Thyme, basil, rosemary and oregano can't be far away!

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: