Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

It's A Jungle Out There

Roxy and I went for a walk just a bit ago.  We were almost all the way up to the vineyard when I looked down and spied a June bug skedaddling across the road.  He was huge and he was moving.  I am sure that if I would have looked closer, he would have been kicking up some dust.  

I was lucky enough to have my close-up lens on my camera but I was all thumbs and fumbling around trying to get to the button to up the shutter speed to get a picture.  Mr June Bug made it to the side of road and hid in the leaves before I had a chance to snap a picture.

I figured the best way to get a picture of him was to wait him out.  I should have counted on my photography assistant making a mad dash right smack across the photo composition area.



Never fails.  Every single time.  Subtlety is not Roxy's strong suit.

At least she rustled up the leaves enough so the Mr June Bug was slightly exposed.  I settled in to snap 110 up-close and personal pictures of him.  


I had 109 left to go when to my left, Roxy started to bark.  At first I thought that a turtle had invaded her space.  I weighed my options for a second, more pictures of a turtle against the rarity of a June bug.

What made me really sit up (literally, I was on the ground) and take notice was her bark was a tad bit more frenzied.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.


That is a honest to goodness snake.

I took a few pictures, contemplated getting closer, then had a Come To Jesus moment when all my athletic shortcomings were compared to Mr Snake.

I called Roxy off and headed for home.  

Quickly.


A few minutes later, Roxy and I, armed with our walking sticks, pistols and the air horn (kidding about the pistol and the air horn), drug Randy up to the vineyard for a reenactment.


Neither Mr June Bug or Mr Snake could be found, but we did find a gecko ...


... and the Easter bunny

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy


No comments: