Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Small Things


I often peruse the Chamber of Commerce website and the Baxter Bulletin to catch up on the going's on around our area.  Randy and I have had a great time this past year going to craft fairs, boat shows and other festivals.

It's also fun to look at the business applications to see what new business are opening in and around town.  That's how I found out that we were getting a Shipley's Donuts.  Mmmmm ... donuts.  The sign that went up outside an empty building on the main road in town was also a pretty big clue.  I have yet to visit their establishment, but I understand their donuts are to die for.  Opps, I mean really, really good.


Anyway ~

Randy and I enjoy going to the local events.  For one, dogs are always welcome at the outdoor happenings.  I seldom pass up an opportunity for Roxy to improve upon on her social skills.  There is always parking to be had, most are free, hardly crowded and there is never a shortage of people to spontaneously erupt in conversation with you.

Now, none of these fairs and festivals would be called large by the standards we are used to in Washington State.  Growing up going to the Puyallup Fair, Kent Meeker Days and the boat, RV and sportsman shows held in the Kingdome and the Tacoma Dome (can you tell how old I am ... Meeker Days ... Kingdome...), well, lets just say that festivities in the Ozarks are tiny by comparison.  Randy and I enjoy them exactly for that reason. 

Last fall, we went to the Pinto Bean Festival and Outhouse Races in Mountain View ...


... The Health Fair and car show at the Baptist Church ...


... This spring we hit the Boat Show at the fairgrounds.  While the admission to the boat show was free, it did cost me the price of a pontoon boat ...



... Back to Mountain View to the Folk Art Festival ...


... One weekend, we lived it up and actually hit two events in one day.  The first stop was at the fairgrounds to the Woodcarving Show ...


... Then on to the Trout Festival in Cotter ...


That was the also the day I decided on a whim to have acrylic nails done.  Randy and I will forever refer to that day as The McDaniel Day of Spunkiness.

Anyway ~

Acts of faith also can fall into the 'small' category.  I would bet that most of us, in some way know the mustard seed story.  Faith the size of a mustard seed will move mountains, etc.  I will save you the time of Googling it - the refresher on mustard seeds can be found in Matthew 17:20.


I have yet, that I know of, moved a mountain.  I just don't do big acts of faith.  My acts of faith are more of the mustard seed variety.  I see small acts of faith in the ordinary and everyday mundane things that we do ...

... Holding a door for a stranger ...
... Saying and meaning 'thank you' ...
... Actually looking into the eyes of the person you are speaking with ... .
... Whispering a prayer for the words to comfort a friend that is over two thousand miles away ...
... Finding a picture that you took yourself that shows the world's beauty ...
... A smile that reaches your eyes ...

All those and more can certainly be categorized as common courtesy, which is frankly, a dying art.  So, the next time you are tempted not to tell the cashier that they missed charging you for something that you did buy, remember ...


One never knows when one may be entertaining angels.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG




No comments: