Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

I'll Be Alone For Christmas

This year was the very, very first time that Randy and I were alone for Christmas.



I can't count the Christmas morning in 2008 when we woke up at the Best Western in Harrisonburg, Virginia.  That is because in just a few driving hours later, Randy and I were Christmasing with our wonderful friends, Ed and Nina and their family in New Jersey.

This year, though we are truly alone with just our faithful dog-princess, Roxy.  Since this is Roxy's first Christmas, I didn't, opps, I mean, Santa didn't pass up the opportunity to leave her gifts.  Even though she has been naughty at times, how could I, I mean, how could Santa not fill her stocking full of treats and toys?


Although, she would have been equally as happy with a lump of coal.

Santa used my Christmas stocking from when I was a kid.  Santa had asked my Aunt Myrtle to make one for Deb and me.  A few of the sequins and beads are missing, but otherwise it is pretty good shape for being close to fifty years old.

The same could be said about me.  Some of the shiny stuff is a bit dull these days, but I am holding up well.

Anyway ~


Roxy was very excited to dig into her stocking.  She didn't even care that the stocking didn't have her name on it.  She knew that it was all for her.  Bacon, hmmm, bacon.  Roxy loves her bacon.


It It was a quiet and sedate Christmas holiday for us.  Randy smoked a Christmas ham.  I made Cheddar Bacon Scones.  We grazed all day, so there was was no big dinner.  Roxy enjoyed eating the entire package of rawhide chewy balls.

It was Christmas and they were small.


Later in the afternoon, I did something that I have never, ever done.  Randy had a fire going downstairs and Roxy and were sitting on the couch.  No napping for me, I just sat there enjoying the fire, petting my dog and thinking.


Thinking of how nice it is to have the chance to just sit there.

Thinking and hoping that all of our family and friends are having a blessed Christmas.

Thinking of how wonderful it is to think of absolutely nothing for a bit.

I have discovered that I like doing this so much and I am making time everyday to just sit.  Most of the time with my trusty dog companion curled up and snoring right beside me.  

I love to listen to Roxy snore.

I would highly recommend doing this.  

... Not listening to someone or something snore.

Finding a time and a place everyday to let your mind wander.  You don't have to solve the world's problems - or your own.  It doesn't have to be the same place and time.  Just sit and listen and think and enjoy what is around you.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy


No comments: