Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

O Heavens to Christmas Cookies

I took the plunge this week and decided to make me some sugar cookies.  

I read the recipe carefully and all the way through.

I assembled all my ingredients.



I tasted the dough to be certain of it's flavorfulness.

I chilled the dough overnight.

I rolled out the dough onto parchment paper.


I cut out trees ...


... Snowflakes ...


... Snowmen ...


... Stars ...


... Bells ...


... Santa Claus ...


... Mrs. Claus ...


... A manger scene ...


I was wild with creativity.

Y'all know that is the same cookie, right?

The dough was chilled properly and I didn't have any trouble rolling it out to cut out the trees.  It was lifting out the excess dough in between the trees that caused me grief.  I decided on a new tactic of rolling them into balls and squishing them with a glass that had a fancy bottom.  Just like mom used to do.  I tried everything to keep the dough from sticking to the bottom of the glass.  Sugar, flour, flour and sugar combined, Pam.   That dough was bound and determined to stick to the bottom of the glass.  I then resorted to the peanut butter cookie method - using the tines of a fork.  The dough even stuck to that.  I at  least had more craters for the sugar to fall into.

It is now official.  I am giving up on sugar cookies.

I do have to say that, as far as taste goes, these particular sugar cookies taste pretty good.  My flour is half white flour and half wheat flour.  I think that made the cookie not too sweet and added a bit of texture to them.  I was able to get them thin and crispy, and topped with enough red and green sugar, I had no problem eating them.


Not as good as Deb's, but edible.

Have the BERST day ever!
~ Dorothy




No comments: