Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just Like That

Goodbyes are so very hard.  Every hello, in one way or another, has a goodbye attached to it.  I knew this day was coming, but knowing it didn't make it any easier.

After an almost two week stay with us, Randy and I were up and out of bed at 0'dark thirty to see Jack and Teri off as they had to start their journey back to Washington this morning.


Today is Jack's birthday and we had a wonderful birthday celebration last night.  Randy grilled ribeye steaks and I roasted potatoes.  I made a chocolate fudge cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert.  Teri and I were able to put our creative cake decorating skills to work.  Everything was delicious.

It has been a very long time since I have had to set an alarm to make sure that I was up in time for anything.  I wanted to make sure that they were sent off with fresh, homemade Kettle Korn to remember me by.  That was easier than decoupaging a picture of me on the dashboard of their car.


After a few pictures of the dueling Fords and Chevys, a couple of hugs and a whole lot of holding back tears, Jack and Teri drove away.  

And just like that, it was over.


Randy and I stood in the driveway until the sound of their Mustang faded away, and then we walked into the house and just stood there.  It was so quiet.

Really quiet.


Roxy didn't know what happened.  She was barely over her new friend, Charlie, leaving and now Jack and Teri were gone.

What now?  I don't think I know what to do with myself, I got so used to Jack and Teri being here.  I guess today will be a day of regrouping.  Puttering around, putting the house back to order.  Maybe a nap, maybe a video game, quite possibly another nap.


How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
~ Carol Sobieski & Thomas Meehan, Annie

I pray that both Jim and Marcia and Jack and Teri have a safe trip home.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy


No comments: