Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Yogi-isms

Yet another year goes by and still my birthday hasn't made it into the 'This Day in History' app that I have on my iPad.

Yes, William James Mayo was born this day in 1861.

Yes, in 1767, the Parliament of the United Kingdom passed the Townshend Acts, which is one of the events that led up to the Declaration of Independence.

Yes, in 1880 France annexed Tahiti.  I have no clue what this one means, so I will be heading over to Wikipedia shortly to get a history lesson.

However, there is still no mention that in 1960 Dorothy Carol Jones was born at the Renton Hospital in Renton, Washington.  Oh, well, I have an entire year to do something monumental to get a mention.


Anyway ~

Bob Costas, one of the greatest sports announcers of all time, was a guest on a late-night Jimmy show last week.

Fallon or Kimmel, I am not sure, I always get them confused.

My in-house TV expert has told me (reminded me) we were watching Jimmy Fallon.

It really doesn't matter since Randy and I decided that Jimmy really isn't that funny and we now are going to take a stab at Jimmy Kimmel.


Anyway ~

Bob Costas has been in the broadcasting world since 1974 and has worked for NBC since the early 80's.  Over his career, he has announced for baseball, football, hockey and the Olympics.  He has won many awards, including close to 20 Emmy Awards.

It doesn't hurt that he is handsome, funny and charming.

Just like Randy.

Now, before you think this blog is going to be entirely about me singing praises to Bob Costas and worshiping him from afar, keep reading.

Jimmy (Fallon) and Bob (Costas) starting talking about Yogi Berra, one of the all time greatest catchers in baseball history.  Yogi Berra was a master at what is called 'Yogi-ism's, or clever and witty comments - usually comments that really made no real sense if you stopped and thought about them.  


Bob Costas told the funny story of in the 70's when the streaking craze hit, three streakers ran across a baseball field during a major league game.  The next day, Yogi Berra was asked by a handful of fellow ball players to describe the incident.  

To those of you thirty and younger, there was a time in this world when Al Gore's internet was not around, CNN and MSNBC was not broadcasting twenty-four hours a day and one had to rely on the live witnesses that were actually there at the time.

Anyway ~ 

When asked whether the streakers were female or male, Yogi Berra replied, "I don't know, they were wearing bags over their heads."



I spent some time off and on yesterday researching Bob Costas and Yogi Berra Yogi-isms.  I discovered that Bob Costas lives in St. Louis Missouri.  Well within driving distance for me.


Yogi Berra is hilarious.  Below are a few of my favorites quotes from him.  

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. 

If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer. 

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.


The future ain't what it used to be. 

The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. 

You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there. 

Never answer an anonymous letter.


I really didn't say everything I said.  Then again, I might have said 'em, but you never know.

And quite possibly the most quoted ...

It ain't over till it's over.


Have the BEST birthday ever, Dorothy!

No comments: