Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sugar Monsters

The Sugar Monsters have been after me this week.  I am on day four of my new resolve to limit candy, sweets and to, once and for all, break up with Ben and Jerry.  Or at least not invite them over every night.

The monsters have been putting me to the test and I have not been at the top of my game at all.

Monday morning was errand day.  I had a past due book to return to the library.  As we drove into the library parking lot, I discovered that I had forgotten to take the book I needed to return.

Oh, well.

I got our prescriptions dropped off for refills with no problem.


Since all eight the valance rods I ordered from Penney’s were the wrong ones - too much projection from the wall - we stopped at Home Depot to get new ones.  Unfortunately, I grabbed the paper that only had a part of the window measurements on it.

Oh, well.

I came home and took a nap.

Tuesday morning I woke up with everything hurting.  I felt like I had done 1000 each of every kind of calisthenic exercise imaginable the day before.  I moved like a 50 year-old woman.

Wait ... I am a 50 year-old woman.

I slowly made my way to the library, paid my thirty cent fine and checked out a few books (which is another story).  As I walk through the ‘Thou Shall Not Shoplift Any Books From The Baxter County Library’ sensors, the alarm went off.

I believe that people have become desensitized to car alarms and the shoplifting alarms at stores like WalMart and Lowe’s.  There have been a more than a couple times that I have seen the crossing guard just wave someone through, or not even look up when the buzzer goes off.

However, when an alarm like that goes off in a library, everybody sits up and takes notice.

A lot of notice.

After I was searched and interrogated by the head librarian and was determined not to be a security threat, I was allowed to leave.  I was even allowed to take the three books I checked out with me.

Pick up prescriptions no problem.


Went to Lowe’s to get the remainder of the valance rods.

Two hallelujah’s in a row!

I came home and took a nap.

Wednesday arrives and I hurt less - maybe in the range of a forty-five year old woman.  Actually, Wednesday isn’t too bad.  Randy and I both had eye appointments and I am looking forward to new glasses and being able to read and paint again.  The only bad thing is that they took my only pair of glasses to put new lenses in them.  While I couldn’t see well with them to read, I could actually see better than without.  It will be about a week before I can pick up the new glasses.

Is that enough time to learn Braille?  I am just not in the right frame of mind to check out a ‘large print’ book at the library.

I came home and took a nap.

Today has started off oddly.  While out walking with Roxy this morning - before it was light enough to see (glasses or no glasses), I notice something at the top of our driveway.  Thinking the wind had blown in a large piece of paper, Roxy and I walk up to investigate.  Roxy, of course, decides to bark at it and won’t get close to it.  I realize that somebody has disposed of a Bambi carcass in our driveway.

Go figure, when I thought it was a large piece of paper, Roxy barks and won’t go near it.  The minute I realized what it is, and want to get Roxy back to the house, that is when she decides she needs to investigate.

In the hoopla of poor Bambi and the Game Warden, my morning schedule was all discombobulated.  I finally got to making my coffee, giving Roxy her breakfast and her morning treat of a slice of cheese and taking my thyroid medicine.

I open up the new bottle and it’s empty.


I seems that when I was organizing, I managed to throw away the entire bottle of the new prescription.

Could I have managed to throw the bottle away in the bathroom garbage?


Could I have manage to throw the bottle away with the cap on?


I managed to throw it away, uncapped in the kitchen garbage.

Oh, well.

This afternoon, I am going with my neighbor, Cynthia, to her art club meeting at the new library.  I am really hoping that this doesn’t turn out like the last time I was invited to a meeting at the library and ended up being un-invited at the door.  This would be very unfortunate for me because I am riding with Cynthia to the meeting.  I know that to have to walk home from the library would be my undoing.

Randy would never say it out loud in a million years, but I am fairly certain that he is looking forward to an afternoon without a crazed woman who is going through sugar withdrawals and hasn't taken her medication within shouting distance.  He probably wouldn’t answer the phone if I called for him to pick me up.

The good news?  Those ugly Sugar Monsters haven’t got to me yet!

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: