Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

It's Their Chicken Nuggets, Y'all

As far as religious, political or moral views, I rarely will take a vocal stand on what I believe.  However, if you ask me whether big paper clips should be mixed in with little paper clips, I may just give you an earful.  I am not liberal, I am not conservative.  I am just Dorothy.  Brought up in the Lutheran church, I have been a Christian all my life.  As for born again, I am born again at the start of every single new day when I wake up.  If you ask my opinion, I will tell you, but you won't find me attempting to sway anyone to my side of the football field.

I say football field in honor of Super Bowl XLV, to be held today in my former stomping grounds of North Texas.



I do not eat fast food.  It averages out to about once a year that you will find us gobbling down a (hopefully) all beef hamburger and a diet Coke.  But that meal is only out of necessity, rather than choice.

Years ago, however, when we were known to stop and get a fast food meal on a regular basis, Randy and I stopped at a Dairy Queen and had a hamburger.  Randy said that this sure was a better hamburger than we had at McDonald's the week before.  That is because it was a chicken sandwich, not a hamburger, that we had eaten at McDonald's.

Anyway ~


My first introduction to Chick-fil-A was in the spring of 2006.  Randy and I flew to North Dallas to spend the Easter holiday with Shaun, Cristy, Will & Sammy.  Will and Sammy seem to like Chick-fil-A, but, as I said, I am not a fan of fast food restaurants.

What I do know about Chick-fil-A is that you will not find one open on a Sunday.  They are all closed on Sunday so that their employees can spend time with their families - and that includes their church families, if they wish.  Chick-fil-A is a family run, privately held company that has strong Christian morals and beliefs.


Earlier this week, Randy told me about a news story that he had read about Chick-fil-A coming under fire because of their stance on gay marriage.  It wasn't until today that I read a short article on Time about the controversy.  The one sentence synopsis of the situation is that Chick-fil-A donated some food to an organization that opposed gay marriage.

What, exactly, is the crime in that?  Whatever your beliefs, what is the problem with donating food, or anything to someone in need?  Jeesh, people, get a grip, they just donated chicken nuggets.

The president of Chick-fil-A, Dan Cathy, said the following in a written statement:

"In recent weeks, we have been accused of being anti-gay.  We have no agenda against anyone.  While my family and I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees".

Very well said.


When I was on the Time web page reading the article about Chick-fil-A, I noticed a news headline on the side bar:

"FOX Rejects John 3:16 Super Bowl Ad"

I am shaking my head in wonderment over this.  While it is  acceptable for me to watch commercials on erectile disfunction, various alcohol drinks (please drink responsibly) and all sorts of off color and questionable advertisements in the quest for the 'best Super Bowl ad ever', FOX is making the decision for me that I can't be shown a reference to a Bible verse?


I guess it boils down to this, whether you be Chick-fil-A or FOX TV, you have a right to show or do what you want.

But here's the thing for me ...  if there was a Chick-fil-A in town, I would go there right now and order a sandwich.

And for all of those who are going to watch the Super Bowl and will not see the John 3:16 commercial, which by the way, does not recite the actual verse, here is the verse:


"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  (NIV)

Go Packers!
Go Steelers!

I show no football favoritism.  I cheer for whoever has the ball.  Unless one of the teams has orange in their costumes.  Then I root for them.


Have the BEST Super Bowl ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: