Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

I am sitting in the living room on my end of the couch like I do every morning.  Randy is at his end, sipping Mountain Dew and reading whatever he reads every morning on the computer.

This morning he has made it to the news headlines and is up in arms about turkeys.  Mainly new government standards that allow turkeys injected with stuff to be called 'natural' because the stuff that they are injecting the turkeys with is 'natural'.


I do my best to stay away from the news.  It is just too easy to get sucked into all the bad things in this world.  The most I will do is read the headlines, just so I can be somewhat of an informed human being.  I am, however, quite confused over this Penn State debacle.  Good thing Dr Phil devoted an entire show on the subject.

When I Take Over My World ...  
I am going to make an 'Only Good News Allowed' news organization!

I do, however, read the recaps on Entertainment Weekly of my favorite reality shows ...

... The Amazing Race ...

... Survivor ...

... Dancing With The Stars ...

Anyway ~


Roxy is stretched out between us, making sure that she is able to touch both of us in some way and snoring like a truck driver.

This is thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is a place in my heart and an attitude in my head.  It is where I know that whatever happens today, if I am willing to face it with joy and gratitude, I just may make things a little easier on myself.

This is something so simple that dawned on me a few weeks ago.  I had let a few things drag me down in the dumps.  Things that I had no control over, yet I allowed them to affect how I faced the day.

And it wasn't pretty.  So I decided that day to be 'full'.  Thankful and joyful.


Approaching the day with joy and thanksgiving worked fine the first day.  In the following days, it was a bit harder to remind myself to be 'full' as the trials of everyday life started to pick away at me ...

... When the wine glass that I have been painting broke ...

... When Randy takes a 'tone' with me.  And yes, my dear, you do have a 'tone'. ...

... When another stumbling block comes from the direction of the Plano house. 


I was never promised a life full of rainbows and butterflies.  I know that dark times are unavoidable and can arrive in a blink of an eye.  Continually working on an attitude of gratitude and joy when all is well will strengthen and preserve me when storm clouds and locusts inevitably arrive.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy


FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG



1 comment:

FaithBarista Bonnie said...

Hi Dorothy! Thank you for taking the time to write such a reflective and beautiful post about a slice in your life, friend! I'm so happy you added your voice in the jam. My heart took a gasp when I read about your wine glass you've been painting, but smiled as you turned your heart into a prayer. Blessings! (btw, what a warm cozy home you have!) :)