Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

This Is Our Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving Day started out on shaky ground for me ...

... First thing in the morning, I spilled a full cup of coffee on my iPad and MacBook.  And all over the floor.  It is amazing how far a few ounces of liquid can travel.

... I put in two cups, instead of the called-for one cup of buttermilk in the blueberry scones that I was making for our breakfast.  I spent a fair amount of time staring into the mixing bowl trying to decide if I should double the dry ingredients or syphon the extra buttermilk out of the bowl with my turkey baster.  I chose syphoning.

...  I then spilled used coffee grounds all over the kitchen floor.  I dislike immensely cleaning up wet coffee grounds.

I was not about to let little setbacks get in my way of a thankful Thanksgiving.  No sirree, Bob.

Just who is Bob anyway?

On most special occasions, I make a special scone for breakfast.  As I said, this year it was blueberry scones with lemon icing.  And mimosas, we always have mimosas on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.


Delicious.

Randy was in charge of smoking the turkey.  I think he did a suitable job.


Looks delicious.

I got the stuffing ready to heat up in the crockpot.  I was kind of upset because I forgot that I was out of sage.  Oh well.  I just added more thyme, rosemary and oregano.


Smells delicious.

After I cleaned up after the hurricane that had hit my kitchen, I ventured downstairs for some serious one-on-one time with Link and our quest to rescue Zelda.  I am slowly but shirley making my way through the game without the guidance of a game guide, or 'cheating' as Randy calls it.

Just who is Shirley, anyway?

Anyway ...

One of the wonderful things about it being just us this year is no pressure to get everything on the table at a certain time.  After I played with Link for a bit, I decided to get my potatoes done.  I cooked 'em, mashed 'em and then put them in the crock pot to keep warm.  Oh, and I just had to sneak a taste.

Tastes delicious.


There was a bit of daylight left, it was kind of mild outside, and Roxy was begging for a game of football.  Who are we to deny our most precious dog play time?


Time for the final step - the gravy.  If y'all have never had gravy made from the drippin's of a smoked turkey - well, y'all are missing out.

Dinner was, as you may have guessed, delicious.  Randy and I enjoyed Christmas music while we waited for an appropriate time to have dessert.  Roxy, who has a sweet tooth like her mom, is going to have a smidgen of punkin pie.


It may have been just the tree of us this Thanksgiving.  But I know that we were surrounded with love from all our friends and family.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy



1 comment:

FaithBarista Bonnie said...

Hi Dorothy, that turkey looks like serious business! ... I loved your scone.. dessert for breakfast? :) Only on Thanksgiving. Perfect way to bookend your post - with your sweetie at the close. Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories with us!