Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What's Cookin' Today?

I love cookies.  Absolutely love cookies.  Until last week, I didn't think that there could be any such thing as a bad cookie.

Little did I know.

It was one of those days where I just needed a little something sweet to give me a push in the right direction.  It wasn't the kind of day where I needed to wallow in a bathtub of sugar.  Just a day where something sweet would be nice.

Months back, I had made a mental promise to myself.  That promise was that if I was going to indulge in sugary goodness, I at least was going to make that sugary goodness myself.  In doing so, at least I would feel like I wasn't getting all the nasty chemicals and such that ready-made goodies contain.

For some strange reason, I had ended up with a box of Betty Crocker's Super Moist Party Rainbow Chip cake mix in my pantry.

For some strange reason, my mind went back to about a hundred years ago ...


... I was in second grade and there was some sort of festivity going on at the school and our class was in charge of making cookies.  Our class made a lemon cookie from a cake mix.  The cookies were all decorated with a pecan half in the center.  We got to go to the school kitchen - us little people had ever been allowed in the school kitchen  - to bake our cookies.  And oh, they were so delicious.

The memory of that pretty and tasty cookie with it's fancy pecan garnish overtook me and I knew that I had to recreate it.

Since one can find anything on the interweb, I easily found a multitude of recipes for cake mix cookies.


Cake mix, 1/3 cup oil, and two eggs ...


... Put all the ingredients in the mixing bowl ...


... Mix it all together ...


... Plop the dough by tablespoonfuls on a baking sheet ...  Or in my case, a baking mat on a baking sheet ...


... Bake them til the cookies are slightly golden brown, about twelve minutes at 350° ...


... While the cookies are cooling on a rack, whip up some cream cheese frosting ...


... Slather the cookies with the frosting ...


--- Sprinkle with sprinkles.

We have a very strong belief at our house.  That belief is that anything covered in cream cheese frosting can't be that bad.

Our belief system has been sorely tested by these cookies.  They are awful.  I will be sticking to the promise that I made myself ... from scratch.  Everything is better from scratch.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy 



No comments: