Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dinner At Our House


The other night, I decided to make chicken pot pie for dinner.  The good kind, from my well used Betty Crocker cookbook.  The good kind, the kind my mom used to make.  With celery seed crust, although I didn't use celery seeds, I used poppy seeds.



The last time I made chicken pot pie, Randy looked at it, then looked at me and asked where the crust was.  You see, I had made the inside of the chicken pot pie and served it over rice.

I don’t do pie crust well.  Not from the ‘never-fail pie crust’ recipe that mom gave me or the never-fail Dough-Boy pie crust that can be purchased at the grocery store.  I find a way to mess up both.

When Randy asked what was for dinner that night and I told him chicken pot pie, his eyes lit up and said “with real crust”?

Yes, dear, with real crust.

I have to give me credit, at least I tried.  And I followed the directions in my own special disorganized way.

Dorothy’s Mise en Place.  It's actually more like Dorothy's Mise en Mess.









Okay, so that's not that bad.  But I 'lost' the other pictures that showed the mess that I made and had to clean up.  I am learning PhotoShop Elements 9 and the Organizer that comes with it and I really should spend some time reading the manual that Randy so kindly purchased for me.

Anyway ~

Randy walked in about the time I was trying to roll out the crust.  He suggested that I try to use parchment paper.  Sometimes, husbands just don’t know when not to offer advice.  Even so, I did not give him the ‘when I want your opinion, I will give it to you’ look.



Not only did I have to mush the pie crust bit by bit into the baking dish, I broke Martha Stewart’s cardinal rule of meal preperation:

Always vary the color palette of your meals to make it pleasing to the eye.

White sauce, chicken, corn, potatoes.  All the same color.

I don’t know if that is real wording of what Martha said, but I know she said something to that effect.

I shoulda added peas for color.

And I hope I used the right word - affect or effect?

Anyway ~

It wasn’t pretty.  It wasn’t perfect.  It was good - not as good as mom's, but good.  Mom always made extra of the inside sauce.

And Randy was happy to have real crust.  I think he is already contemplating Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy






No comments: