Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Don't Forget To Look Up

I have not used an alarm clock in many, many years.  Since Randy started working from home, I think.  I was never one for sleeping in and never having a problem waking up when I needed to.

Now and then I have even slept until - yeee gosh - 7 am.

Then we got Roxy.

Roxy the Alarm Clock goes off faithfully every morning right around 6am.

One little squeak

Another bigger squeak.

Then two little squeaks put together.

I usually wake up at the first squeak and hope I was just dreaming.

At the second squeak I know that morning has broken.  I break out in song ‘cause if I’m getting up, the whole house is getting up.

Kidding.  I try not to wake the bear.  He is not a morning bear.


On my 30th birthday, I gave myself a vacation day.  I always got up first, even when Randy had to be at work before me.  Even on a day off, I got up early.  On that day, when I heard Randy getting out of bed to get ready for work, I went in the bedroom and sat on the bed next to him.  I started to chatter away about my plans for my day.  Being a person of no words in the morning, he reached over and put his hand over my mouth.

Anyway ~

At the third squeak, Roxy and I get up and go outside.  Even though it is cooler now in the mornings, it is still nice enough to be outside.  With warmers and a jacket on, of course.  We wander around outside in the dark.  Just as it starts to get light, we take our morning walk up around the driveway up to the vineyard.

I call it the vineyard 'cause we have grapes growing up there.  



Roxy’s nose is to the ground sniffing all the new smells that the new day has brought.

I look up and watch the sun come up and see the colors in the sky change second by second.



The song ‘Morning Has Broken’ was written my Eleanor Farjean in 1931.  Most of us from a generation a generation ago know it as a popular song from the early seventies sung by Steven Demetre Georgiu, opps, I mean Yusuf Islam, opps, I mean Cat Stevens.  I didn’t realize that the song is actually a Christian Hymn.



It isn’t even 9 am and here I have learned something new and taken almost 150 pictures.




Morning Has Broken

Morning has broken, like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for the springing fresh from the word
Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
Like the first dewfall, on the first grass



Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where his feet pass
Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day






Now that you have that song stuck in your head ...


Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: