Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beets are Beet-i-ful

Beets have never been a go-to vegetable for anybody.  Corn, peas, broccoli, yes.  Maybe cauliflower and on occasion brussels sprouts.  But not beets.

Beets are delicious and beets are pretty.




Mom and Helen both canned beets.  I like simple cooked beets, but spiced beets are very tasty.  While I don't can beets, I do make a spiced beet that is every bit as good as Mom and Helen's.












Here is a beet fact:

The leafy part of the beet is edible.  If it is boiled or steamed, it has the texture and taste similar to spinach. 

It is also known as the 'unlikeable fruit' because kids will not eat them.  All this time, I thought beets were a vegetable.  I also thought for sure that Sammy would try my pickled beets, if only for the pretty magenta color of them.  She hasn't tried them, but Will did.  It seems that I can have my beets all to myself.



When we eat at the California Pizza Kitchen, Randy orders a salad that comes with beets.  Apparently the beet option isn't a popular one because the wait person always asks if he wants the beets.  Or maybe they can identify Randy as a non-beet lover.  Maybe there is mark on him that only the CPK people can see.



Being his wife gives me the ability to answer for him, so I tell the wait person to bring the beets on a separate plate.  For me.  They are all mine!

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: