Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Dislike Immensely

HATE |hāt|
verb [ trans.]
feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone):
the boys hate each other / he was particularly hated by the extreme right.
have a strong aversion to (something):
he hates flying / [with infinitive ] I'd hate to live there.
[with infinitive] used politely to express one's regret or embarrassment at doing something:
I hate to bother you.
noun intense or passionate dislike:
feelings of hate and revenge.
[as adj.] denoting hostile actions motivated by intense dislike or prejudice:
a hate campaign.
~~~
I do not like the word 'hate'. So instead of using that word, I use 'dislike immensely'.







I feel the need to explain this.  You see, Randy reads my blog for me before I post it and then send it to the five devoted readers that I have.  Well, you guys could be deleting the emails for all I know, but a girl has got to have her dreams and illusions.
Anyway ~
On the couple of occasions that I have used the phrase ‘dislike immensely’, Randy has politely corrected me and suggested that I change it to ‘immensely dislike’.  The first time, I sweetly explained to him that I do not like the word ‘hate’, so I am going to use ‘dislike immensely’.  The second time he made the suggestion, I stood up, towered over him and screamed:

“DON’T YOU EVER LISTEN TO ME?  I TOLD YOU THE FIRST TIME YOU SAID THIS THAT I DON’T LIKE THE WORD HATE AND WILL BE USING ‘DISLIKE IMMENSELY.’  I GOTTA HAVE A CATCH PHRASE, ONE TO BE KNOWN BY WHEN I BECOME SUPER POPULAR IN THE BLOGGING COMMUNITY.  NOW GO EMPTY THE DISHWASHER.  YOU KNOW I DISLIKE IMMENSELY TO EMPTY THE DISHWASHER!”
Kidding.




I have learned, as he probably has, that in these advancing years, just to patiently explain it all again just as if it were the very first time.
Anyway (again) ~
This explanation is for any of you five readers that may question my ability to structure a sentence correctly or to know proper grammar.  Although anybody who has been around me for any length of time should know of my penchant to mispronounce (on purpose) and make up words.
There is a (what I think is) a funny story about my made-up word ‘downage’.  But that is for another day.  Who knows?  By then, the person who actually used the word in a formal, business setting, with no knowledge at all that it wasn’t an actual word, may be reading my blog.



Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy

No comments: