Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Today is Father’s Day.  Randy and I took lasagna, a delicious concoction of layers of cream cheese and Cool Whip, topped with strawberry jello mixed with sliced fresh strawberries over a pretzel crust and dessert, which is a new recipe that is called Chocolate Cobbler over to Cristy and Shaun’s for dinner.
That was a run-on sentence if I ever wrote one.




I was a bit nervous about how the Chocolate Cobbler was going to turn out.  But it has rave reviews on the site where I found the recipe, thepioneerwoman.com, so I thought that I would live dangerously.  I found her website a few years back when I was looking for a recipe for onion strings.  I love, love, love her site.  She has recipes, gift ideas, photography tips and contests and just plain old stories about her life on an Oklahoma ranch with her husband and four kids.  It is a great site.  


Please take notice of my wacky son-in-law on the left hand side of the nice picture of Randy with Will & Sammy.
Anyway ~
Back to the Chocolate Cobbler.  I came to terms with the sacrifice that I was willing to make if dessert wasn’t edible.  That great sacrifice was that I could dash over to The Cheesecake Factory to get a dessert replacement.  It was the least I could do for Randy and Shaun, since it was Father’s Day after all.  Plus, ya’ll know how much I dislike immensely The Cheesecake Factory.  A run for cheesecake wasn't necessary, but I just can't put a picture the cobbler here, because it's one of those dishes that tastes a whole lot better than it looks.



The strawberry jello over the whip cream / cream cheese over the pretzel crust (I think it’s really called something dull like ‘Strawberry Jello Salad with Pretzel Crust’) is one that I have made before, though this is the first time that I have actually read the recipe and followed the instructions.  It has always turned out okay before, but this time, “Do you want to do it right or do you want to do it over?” kept playing over and over in my head.  I did stop for a bit to take 44 pictures of a bug crawling across the kitchen floor, however.  Although the pretzel crust didn't hold together like it should have, it still tasted good.
Anyway (again) ~
Back to Father’s Day.
The Jones family doesn’t do sappy.  But I miss not seeing my dad.  Even though we email each other a lot, I haven’t seen him for quite awhile.  I am kind of envious of Debbie, who has driven to North Cove to visit with him a few times over the past few months.  The most recent was last weekend.  I am always eager to hear from her on how he looks and how he’s doing.
So Dad, I just wanted to tell you, in front of my four other readers and the entire inter-web, Thanks for being my dad for the past 49 years, 11 months and 20 days.  Happy Father’s Day.  I love you and I miss you.


Happy Father’s Day!
Love ~ Dorothy

No comments: