Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Raisin Bran Bread

I don't like eggs.  Eggs are nasty, gross and repulsive.  And more.  When I was a kid, I mostly ate cold cereal for breakfast.  I can remember being in the cereal isle at the grocery store every Friday and picking out my box of cereal.  Quisp was the BEST.


But I wasn't allowed to get Raisin Bran.  Raisin Bran was off limits because my mom was sure that the raisins weren't washed.  Because of the unwashed raisin issue, she didn't even let me get the little boxes of raisins that I could put in my lunch for school.  Well, I take that back.  I remember a couple of times she bought the little boxes.  But I had to wash the raisins first, then put them back into the box.  There is no fun in that, trust me.

If I wanted raisins in my cereal, I had to wash them first, then put them into Special K, Product 19 or Frosted Flakes.  Though, when we went camping, she bought the variety pack of little boxes of cereal.  Those had Raisin Bran and thankfully, she didn't make me pick out the raisins to wash them first.

A side note, it is kind of funny that Mom allowed me to eat Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Peanut Butter Captain Crunch and any one of a multitude of sugar-filled goodness, but not Raisin Bran.  Now I know where my love of all things sugar started.

Now that I am an adult, I can buy Raisin Bran.  And I do.  I not only bought a gigantic box of Raisin Bran at Sam's Club - I also bought Raisin Bran Crunch!  I mix 'em together in a giant tupperware container.

Since I have enough cereal to last the rest of the year, and I have a bread maker, the natural next step was to make Raisin Bran Bread.  And while the bread is very tasty, the loaf turned out very small and dense. Really dense.  To the point that Randy is going to add it to the website as a new item - an anchor.

Maybe I should have washed the raisins first....


No comments: