Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup


I have wanted to try a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper soup that I found in a magazine.  The trouble is, Randy isn't a big fan of soup.  I thought I would be able to tempt him with adding a toasted cheese sandwich.  And to pass the soup off as tomato soup.  He wasn't falling for it.



We had the toasted cheese sandwiches for dinner last Saturday night, but I bailed on making the soup.  Sunday, however, I decided not to let the peppers go to waste - heck, I had eight bucks into four red peppers!  

Now, I am not real good about following recipes.  I usually look at the picture, read the ingredients and decide on my own that I know how to make the dish.  But I am trying real, real hard to actually read the recipe entirely before I start.

And while I read the soup recipe and followed it, that didn't stop me from improvising a bit.  Mostly because it called for 4 - 6 red peppers and at two bucks apiece, I wasn't willing to put that kind of investment into a new recipe.  So I added a can of tomatoes in place of a couple of the red peppers.

The bad news...
The peppers, onion, garlic, and thyme - it smelled to good while it was cooking.  But the soup tasted so bland after it was done.  I added a bunch of sea salt and stashed it in the fridge.
The good news...
A day later, delicious.

Randy has yet to try it.  But I have been having a bowl along with the Bacon and Cheddar Scones that I made for breakfast on Sunday.   Very tasty.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy


No comments: