Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

AFCVP

I am going to join the AFCVP (American Flag Code Violation Police).


I am not an ultra-patriotic, "thank you, Congress for passing the health care bill, you do the for the people part of the Constitution so well", American, but why in heck do people / businesses that fly the American flag get away with flying a tattered and torn flag?

I seem to remember that way, way back in elementary school, being taught that there were some actual rules and regulations concerning the American flag.  Even if elementary school for me was closer to the Betsy Ross era than the present, I am fairly certain that there are is still some flag etiquette involved where the American flag has to be treated with some respect.

I found a website that has a "Flag Code Violations in the News" page.  Former President Bush W. managed to get a mention.  At first I thought it was for him standing on an American flag floor mat.  But no, it was because the American flag was touching the floor, not because a pair of presidential feet were standing on it.

But as a wise man once told me, "Good press, bad press.  It doesn't matter, it's all press."

Anyway ~

"When I Take Over My World, the American Flag Will Never Be Flown Tattered and Torn.  Or Worn as Clothing"

I added the 'worn as clothing' as I typed because I decided at the last minute that wearing American flag as outer ware or inner ware bugs me too.  (It's my blog, ya'll.)  I know that the technicality of the code is that you can't fashion the actual flag into pajama pants and wear them.  I am not talking about that.  They should add to the code that it is a violation to actually make the material with any type flag pattern.



For a refresher of what we all should have learned in elementary school, Google 'American Flag Code'.  Read it.  Oh, and I just made up the AFCVP.

Have the BEST day ever!
~ Dorothy








No comments: